Here are some snippets from my AS code to make sure we are on the same
page.

var mcDisplay:MediaDisplay;
var mcController:MediaController;

// can be done in the mxml also
mcDisplay.associateController( mcController );

// Later at the function where I know the FLV has been loaded
mcDisplay.volume = 50;
mcController.volume = 50;
mcDisplay.play();

So I actually set the volume before hand and it works, but I dont know
if the rtmp actually messes with stuff as it is sending more
information.  My knowledge of FCS is limited but I think the volume
can be controlled on that end so the Media Components might act
different because of receiving volume info from the rtmp stream, but
again my knowledge is limited on this subject.

Renaun