It would be more likely that the dataProvider length is still 0 until you get
your first page.  If that's not the case, can you make a small example?

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Greg
Hess
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:45 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] DataGrid nullItemRenerer's do not display until
'non-null' ItemRenderers have been used

Hi All,

I have a DataGrid that is working with a dataProvider(ArrayCollection)
with null items. The ArrayCollection represents the files in a
directory and I am performing pagination. Before I populate the
ArrayCollection with valid FileVO objects it is filled with null items
for every file in the directory. I specify the nullItemRenderer
property of the 'File Name' DataGridColumn so that a spinner animation
will display until I update the ArrayCollection as the result of a
paginated query to fetch the contents of the directory.

When I first select a directory I never see my nullItemRenderers. It
is not until the first page loads, updates the ArrayCollection with
the first page of results and valid item renderers are created and
displayed will I see the nullItemRenderers when scrolling the rest of
the collection. It seems the nullItemRenderer is only used once the
cache of ItemRenerers is full of valid Item renderers for all the
visible rows in the DataGrid.

How can I have the DataGrid use nullItemRenderers even before a non
null item has been rendered?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg