This sounds like you’re implementing a TreeDataProvider more than a regular list DataProvider (if you’re seeing calls to getChildNodes).  The list/tree will subscribe automatically to the modelChanged event.  You’re right that getParent() is required for the TreeDataProvider, I think the livedocs might have been updated to reflect it.

I believe there is an example of a custom tree data provider out there but I couldn’t speak of it for sure.

Matt

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:flexcoders@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of zhongtie
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 6:36 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Writing a Custom Data Provider

Hi,

I am trying to write a custome data provider for my list control. My
data is not an array, so I am trying to rewrite all those APIs. Here
are some questions:

1. is "modelChanged" event subscription handled by the flex framework?
In another word, do I need to do any thing besides calling
dispatchEvent({target:this, type:"modelChanged", eventName:"...")?

2. Is there any good example I could follow? I tried this example
(http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flex/1/mixin/mixin3.html),
but ran into many issues, such as:
   a. getParent() required by the compiler. It's not in the ASDoc,
however;
   b. I saw many warnings in the log:
Warning: getChildNodes is not a function
Warning: __get__editable is not a function
Warning: hasChildNodes is not a function
Warning: getParent is not a function
    c. The GUI doesn't update itself unless I hover my mouse around.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Tim