I did a tutorial series which explains how to build an asset with 9-slice
scaling in Flash and use it to custom skin a Flex component. It's challenging
use programmatically unless you know the precise coordinates of how you want
the
image sliced up, and it has very specific usage requirements which are not all
that well documented unless you know where to look (like here ;)

http://www.communitymx.com/abstract.cfm?cid=6C7D2
http://www.communitymx.com/abstract.cfm?cid=92C3D
http://www.communitymx.com/abstract.cfm?cid=23781

Joseph Balderson, Flex & Flash Platform Developer | joeflash.ca
Author, Professional Flex 3 | http://tinyurl.com/5qbqlk