I have a flash application that's being used in other countries.
I'm having reports that certain keys from certain keyboards are not
getting translated properly.

My application uses a custom "equation editor" that I wrote.  I'm
using key up and key down handlers to capture key strokes.  I can't
believe the flash doesn't support character translations out of the
box.

I know some people out there us a hidden TextField to capture
the "translated text", but I really don't want to do there.  I
suspect that will mess up a lot of my focus code and cursor movement
code.

Has anyone tackled this another way?  One idea I had was to somehow
come up with a keyboard mapping application, that would require the
user to "learn" the keys.  I would then store some sort of a lookup
table inside a shared object.  I'm not sure what the interface would
look like, but it's an idea.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.