Tracy Spratt wrote:
> "..it just jumps from service.send()to the next function in the init
> file ...", that is normal, because of the async nature of RPC calls.
> The code does NOT wait until the call returns. How are you debugging?
> You need a breakpoint or trace or alert in the handler.

I have breakpoints in the app: at service.send() and in the result
handler and the do-something-else function that follows.

Breakpoints ( see below) fire in this order: 1,2,4  3 never fires

####### a stripped down file that does NOT work ###########

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
layout="absolute" creationComplete ="init();">

     <mx:Script><![CDATA[

        import mx.controls.Alert;

             [Bindable]
            private var xmlFeed:XML;

            import mx.rpc.http.HTTPService;
            import mx.rpc.events.ResultEvent;
            import mx.rpc.events.FaultEvent;

            private var service:HTTPService

            private function init() :void {
                 useHttpService();
                 loadData(xmlFeed );
            }

           private  function useHttpService():void {    ###  BREAKPOINT 1 ##
                service = new HTTPService();
                //service.destination =
                service.method = "POST";
                service.addEventListener("result", httpResult);
                service.addEventListener("fault", httpFault);

service.url="http://john.znyx.com/oaflowdemo/mygraphml_realdata2.xml";;
                service.resultFormat = "e4x" ;
                service.send();      ###  BREAKPOINT 2 ##
            }

            private function httpResult(event:ResultEvent):void {  ###
BREAKPOINT 3 ##
                xmlFeed = event.result as XML;
            }

             private function httpFault(event:FaultEvent):void {
                var faultstring:String = event.fault.faultString;
                Alert.show(faultstring);
            }

            private function loadData(data:XML):void {    ###
BREAKPOINT 4 ##

            }

      ]]></mx:Script>

</mx:Application>

> Also, verify the url by pasting it into a browser,

yep checked that

> Then debug the data source itself, to see if it is getting the call

I don't see anything in the logs no matter how I access the file, so
I'll have to pursue that...
a different xml file on a different server fails in the same way...