I'm writing a data descriptor for a tree representing some remote filesystem
hierarchy.

I want the data descriptor to call a remote service every time the user
opens an item. However, the data descriptor assumes synchronous retrieval of
children etc.

At the moment, I have to read in the entire hierarchy at once when the tree
is initialised. However, this is not appropriate because:

1. Its not scalable: this tree could get huge and so lead to an unacceptable
initialisation time
2. Changes (since initialisation) to the hierarchy are not reflected

Is it possible to write the DataDescriptor using asynchronous calls?