Another idea...

How about setting up a timer in Flex to poll the server. If the server
does not receive the poll in a certain amount of time then the client
has disconnected and you can write the data to the database.

It may work even better with BlazeDS (I don't know this - I'm kinda
hoping it works). Hopefully you can tell if a client disconnects from
something they have subscribed to via RTMP. Does anyone know?