On 7/26/05, jamiebadman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Scott: Thanks for the info; much appreciated, regardless of how
> scary it reads!

hehe i'm sure it could be "dumbed' down more for folks who are looking
at this with a confused expression, (ie not belittling anyone - merely
saying that on the surface it sounds indepth and "lot of work" but...
in truth, if you spend som time researching it and probing the idea(s)
it's not that dawnting..just requires some concentration hehee)

> Sounds like it's a pretty pointless thing to do, then, if the code +
> RSL on a per-user basis will be as large, if not larger than the
> code including the unwanted stuff ;-)

Depends, I'm looking at this sooner rather then later for the stuff
i'm creating here locally (slowly piecing together an intranet) and it
kind of looks more appealing then sending down one chunky SWF that a
user may only load 10% of). I'm more inclined in truth to resolve this
via CFMX+FLEX (both remoting and building the required MXML).

> I must admit that I'm finding it hard to understand what the reason
> is for Flex building Flash 'on the fly' at all. What's the point of
> this as opposed to simply having Flex generate a SWF which you put
> on the server as you would a normal Flash file ?
>
> What does Flex offer you that a static SWF wouldn't ?

Lots, mainly in terms of actual development. In FLEX, you have the
power to build your own language to suite your own needs, but also
automating a lot of Usability issues that would be a nightmare to
piece together via other web-based technologies.

I've worked with FLASH IDE for years (early FP5.0)  and i've gotten
more work done in a short amount of time then IDE, that's a sad cold
fact but the truth.

The main reason for this increase in productivity is well.. XML...
pure and simple, the same reasons why CFMX for me is much faster then
say ASP or PHP. I can get in, do the tasks i need to do, build it so
it can have a decent amount of scale and get out.

Ontop of that, I mentioned that you can write your own language and
what i mean by that is, well kind of a framework in many ways.
Cairngorm is in manways an extension of FLEX, where by you can string
together different tiers for your application so that they can produce
the end result (SWF) yet continue to be very agile.

You can take a page out of i2's book (heh) and also put together your
own controls, that are explicit in the way they render their visuals
(very much like making your own SWC/Components in IDE)

ie:
<mb:AppWindow>
<mb:IconBar>
<mx:Link label="Import" click="hlprMain.IMPORTINVOICE()" icon="ImportSymbol"/>
<mx:Link label="Open" click="hlprMain.OPENINVOICE()" icon="OpenSymbol"/>
</mb:IconBar>
</mb:AppWindow>

It just offers a lot of power, much of it is hidden or goest majority
of the time un-used but its there, waiting for you to unlock with
imagination. To carry this forward into other SWF development
environments, painful. I've not benchmarked  the other breeds (eg:
XAMLON) against FLEX, but in truth if your not up to speed on .NET
Development this may be just as confusing - if not harder?
(debatable?)

Flex is not a server-side language, its a client-side language that
happens to run a server. Treat FLEX like a punch-card machine
hehe..you build up all your cards and when your ready, feed them in
one at a time, then wait for the result and go with that...obviously
it does a lot of things ongoing from there but point is that its just
a big ol compiler on roids... hehe

> I know it's a pretty fundamental question that I kind of feel I
> should already know the answer to - but I don't ;-)
>
> Flex is great for building RIA's and I'm getting great results from
> it - but I don't yet understand why it's a server side tool at all...
>
> Any hints ? ;-)

Reason it went "server-side" to invite the code-monkeys in on the
flash luv. Rumour has it that the Enterprise j2EE developers loved
flash technology, but found timelines confusing... so the gods that
be, decided "lets make it render itself together via an XML based
solution"..which they then proceeded to high-five one another and
begin work, thus FLEX (aka Royale was born).

Heres a test case for the non-belivers:

1) make FLEX Store in FLEX from scratch (no peeking at the existing
code base, but just the visuals)

2) now make Flex Store in <insert your alternative swf>, now compare.

"the proof is in the pudding" - I have no idea what the hell this
expression means, (see:http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20020903.html) felt it
suited the context of my "pepsi challenge"

p.s
my book signing is tommorow (heh ie email is damn long enough is it not?)

--
Regards,
Scott Barnes