That's a tough problem that I've had to deal with before.  Here is what I
figured out.

   - You widget MUST be 216 x 140 (some people will argue you can do 215
   wide, but in my testing sometimes that causes issues)
   - The main issue that you will run into is... When the player window is
   too small, the settings panel will either 1) not show up at all OR 2) Show
   up clipped and in some browsers which will not register mouse events to the
   player
   - You cannot disable the settings panel.

Here are a couple of workarounds that I figured out:

   - The widget needs to be 216 x 140 ONLY when you're asking for permission
   to the microphone.  If you have control of Javascript on the page, you can
   change the size of the flash object on the page temporarily while you show
   the settings panel.
   - You can use "Security.showSettings(SecurityPanel.PRIVACY);" to control
   when you want the settings panel to show up.
   - Using the Security.showSettings method is helpful because there is a
   Remember button on that panel.  If the user chooses "Remember", then you
   never have to show the Settings panel again.
   - The Microphone status events get dispatched when a user changes a
   Microphone setting within the settings panel.
   ( _mic.addEventListener(StatusEvent.STATUS, onMicStatus); )
   - On your Microphone class, the "muted" property will tell you if you
   have access to the microphone or not.

Hope this helps,
Nate