I had the same idea... except using ruby:
require 'find'

dirs =
["/workspaces/flex_sdk/trunk/frameworks/projects/framework/src","/workspaces/flex_sdk/trunk/frameworks/projects"]

dirs.each do |dir|
  count = 0
    Find.find(dir) do |path|
        if (path =~ /(\.as|\.mxml)/)
          if(path =~ /\.svn-base/)
            #ignore
          else
            count += 1
          end
        end
    end
  puts "In #{dir} there are #{count} files that match the filter."
end

OUTPUT:
[/workspaces/flex_sdk/trunk/frameworks/projects/framework/src] 696 matches
[/workspaces/flex_sdk/trunk/frameworks/projects] 1366 matches

--

Cheers,
Nate