Please be patient, I am new to this :-)

I am trying invoke a RemoteObject that is in a Class from a code behind AS
file. But I am getting this error: TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a
property or method of a null object reference.

Here is my CB:

            import mx.collections.ArrayCollection;
            import com.isavepets.projects.ProjectGateway;

            [Bindable]
            public var projectData:ArrayCollection = new ArrayCollection();
            public var ProjGateway:ProjectGateway = new ProjectGateway();;

            public function initApp():void {
                projectData = ProjGateway.list();
            }

What am I missing? Thanks!