My experience is that it is always nice to store the result in a variable.
Bind this variable to event.result from the webservice.

Access this variable from any component anywhere.

INDEX.MXML

<mx:Script>
var eventDetailsResult;

<mx:Script>

    <mx:WebService id="service_Events wsdl="..................." showBusyCursor="true">
      <mx:operation name="GetEventDetails" result="eventDetailsResult=event.result">

<component dataSource={eventDetailsResult} ....

COMPONENT.MXML

<mx:Script>
var dataSource;
<mx:Script>

<mx:DataGrid dataProvider={dataSource} ....

Hope this helps!

Regards
Sree

PS: I am wondering how could you bind "service_Events.GetEventDetails.result" IF your webService ID is indeed eventsService” as you mention!

Steve Cox wrote:

Hi,

First person, a new flex developer, so bare with me!

I’m using a webservice defined in ‘index.mxmlcalled ”eventsService”. Now I previously had a datagrid within this file which had the dataprovider set as: service_Events.GetEventDetails.result.diffgram.NewDataSet.Table This all worked fine.

Problem is, I now want to separate my app into components. How do I now access that service?

I’ve tried mx.core.Application.application.service_Events.GetEventDetails.result.diffgram.NewDataSet.Table, however I get the “changes to unknown property..” warning, and the datagrid won’t update.

What’s the best way to do this?

Cheers,

Steve