Mike

The currentTarget will change as the event propagates. You probably
have only one itemEditorInstance for a particular component. When that
component is the currentTarget then you see that itemEditorInstance.

Check out the documentation on Event Propagation at
http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/help.html?content=events_08.html