I started with the example from your blog dated Feb 2008
(CheckBoxListAndDataGrid).

To deselect the other rows, the checkbox column header renderer calls a
'selectAll()' method on the CheckBoxDataGrid
with  a flag of false.  That method builds two arrays - one for all items in
the collection and one for all indices in the collection.
It then replaces mx:DataGrid.selectedItems and selectedIndices with new
arrays. In the deselect case, the new arrays are empty.
In the select all case then have all items/indices.

Visually, selectAll true/false seems to work when it's called. But in the
use-case I describe below I'm counting on the
mx:DataGrid.selectItem() to be called in order to deselect rows in the case
that a single row is selected.
Based on trace statements, I know that mx:DataGrid.selectItem() is never
called when the problem occurs

Is there something about the way I'm selecting things which causes the
selectItem() to not be called?

I tried replacing just selectedItemds or just selectedIndicies or both. it
doesn't seem.

Thanks,
Glenn