I mean like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"; layout="absolute">

    <managers:MyBadPracticesClass />

</mx:Application>

If it was a display object all the suggestions would work but it extends
EventDispatcher and manages states, etc. The problem was that the id was not
getting set. It also was not enumerated when I looped through the
application. What I had to do was implement the IMXMLObject interface. This
notified the application to call an initialized function that passed in a
reference to the document (application) and id of the instance both of which
are not present when you extend EventDispatcher or Object. I did this so
that I could make it behave like a singleton. But it's all working now in
bad practices land. :P

Paul, this is a reincarnation of the other question (posted before it was
solved).