I found this post just the other day, and it appears to bear on your
issue:

http://www.arlingtondev.com/thoughts/?p=17

But I cannot figure out how it would work.  Particularly the line:

var bmp:Bitmap = new Bitmap(Bitmap(this.content).bitmapData);

More particularly, this expression:

this.content

I guess I don't really understand what "this" is in this context.
Somehow it has to be the Image, since content is a property on Image
(that makes sense, it is the actual image in the Image control).  But
for "this" to be the image contol, the scope of the mouseMoveHandler,
must be the Image control.  That would be a renderer, hmm, maybe I am
seeig it.

Maybe it will make sense to you.

Tracy Spratt
Lariat Services