Thanks guys for all your responses so far.
To clarify, it is a multi-step process (with a few possible branches).

Tracy/Jim, for the most part I agree. Ideal if I was given the scope to
re-design the application, but I've just been handed the task of re-writing
the step-process logic. The client is very happy with what they have, so it
is a decision that is out of my hands.

I am mainly looking for suggestions for (code) design
patterns/micro-architectures out there that handle this sort of thing - not
a fully-fledged framework.

I did like the look of the book Haykel recommended, even though it was not
code-based so I may well purchase it too - thanks.

Cheers,
Neil