The way I did this (and it's probably not the most efficient) was this:
 - User clicked a button inside the mx:component tag.
 - The click call passed a reference to the VBox container to the
outer document function.
 - In the outer document function, I'd use the reference like this:

var vb:VBox = vbox; // vbox is the reference to object in component
var text:TextInput = vb.getChildAt(2) as TextInput;

I wish there was a cleaner way, like setting an ID on the mx:component
tag and then referencing its children. But I think the component is
treated as a different class altogether.

- Alex