The htmlText in the TextArea control supports only a limited number of
HTML tags; take a look at this blog post for more info:
http://devharbor.blogspot.com/2008/12/display-html-file-in-flex-textarea.html

I don't think the <ul> tag is supported; nor can it be nested. To
create lists, you simply use the <li> tag.

- Alex