Depending on how you load your external swf, specifying a child
ApplicationDomain might solve your problem. You should probably base it off
the top level domain, but if that also doesn't work you can create a new
one.

// Create child
var appDomain : ApplicationDomain = new
ApplicationDomain(ApplicationDomain.currentDomain);

// Create new
var appDomain : ApplicationDomain = new ApplicationDomain(null);

You specify the application domain in the LoaderContext that you supply to
the loader.

Hope this helps,
Richard