Can someone send me some links to information on all the ins and outs
of creating good visual custom Flex UIComponents with Actionscript (NOT
MXML)? (i.e. a class that extends UIComponent)

I've actually done it before, but had some bugs and headaches because I
didn't fully understand all the intricacies of method overriding you
have to/should do - things like measure(), clone(), updateDisplayList
(), etc. - so that it looks/works right and the UIComponent stays
within its container (for example, you create a UIComponent that draws
a large circle, but you want the circle to remain within the bounds of
a scrollpane component it is a child of).

I've googled all over the place, including adobe devnet and the
Flexcoders archives and have come up short.  Seems to be bits and
pieces - I'm looking for some kind of explanation or simple example of
writing a visual component

I understand the AS3 drawing API and databinding, I just want info on
the rest of best practices for extending UIComponent.  Seems like I had
seen a tutorial on this before on devnet, but I can't locate it now
(the search on that thing is terrible!) - also others have made some
good posts on that here as well, but can't find those either.

Thanks!