Found out a solution: The problem was in the BufferedImage object in
the Java code. Java's BufferedImage couldn't handle some of the JPG's
and was choking. Once I passed the InputStream directly to a method
that uses the Java Advanced Imaging API, the problem went away.

Using WireShark, I noticed that Flex kept calling the server and
getting back a 404 error (therefore it seemed to be hanging, even
though it was working behind the scenes). That convinced me it was a
problem on the server with Java.

- Alex