We have a need to access resources on the local computer.
Specifically, devices connected to the serial/parallel/usb/...
interfaces. I was wondering how others have succeeded with this in a
flex/air environment.

I was hoping that AIR would make this possible, but it doesn't appear
so yet. Is this true? Would/could this be possible in the future?

Other options? Locally installed app sending data over sockets? I
think I remember seeing that flex/air could connect to such an app.

Signed activex/applet browser plug-ins?

Standard desktop app that sends data to server directly?

Just wondering how others have approached this.

Thanks