As I'm answering my own questions here, I guess I'll just posted my
findings :)

There appears to be something a little strange with the way it handles
the URL on a Mac.  By adding 'file:/' in front of the url in new
URLRequest (e.g. var request:URLRequest = new URLRequest( 'file:/' +
url ); ) it works correctly.  I'm using the image.source for loading
the image ( image.source = url in this example ), but that does not
appear to be correct on a mac.  Don't know if this is a bug or a
'user-error' :)