Flex is a presentation tool; it requires some server-side tech (JSP,
PHP, .NET, etc.) to fetch the data and provide it to Flex (via XML or
BlazeDS). I think some databases have capability for web services to
hit them directly, and then you could connect to them from Flex using
the WebService class.

- Alex C