Good afternoone everyone.

I know this topic has been thrown around quite a bit in the recent
past but I have a few questions Id like to ask and not hijack someone
else's topic.

First a little about myself and the project in question to give
everyone some kind of idea what i need.

I am a longtime ColdFusion programmer (since 1998). In the last year
and a half I have been working on a rather large application using
Flash, CF, and SQL that is essentially an order placement / shipping /
tracking / reporting app.

Soon I will begin the second phase of this project which is
essentially a ground-up rework and I began investigating Flex as a
possible alternative to the Flash app. I find Flash (and the IDE) to
be somewhat cumbersome from a development standpoint.

I have been converting some of the standalone interfaces to Flex as
kind of a proof of concept trial run to show the client that it is not
only a viable solution but also the best.

Now, before I send them off to buy 1 or 2 Flex licenses (not sure
exactly what we need yet since Im not sure  what is needed for a
stable dev server in regards to Flex), new server hardware to ensure
that the front end Flex app is as speedy as possible, as well as
various other software / hardware pieces i was hoping i could get some
insight into a couple of the larger frameworks.

Currently the structure is such that I have a base movie that acts as
a controller. a user is presented with a login MC until they provide
sufficient login credentials at which point their navigation options
are loaded based on their permissions. each "interface" (order entry,
warehouse, shipment loading, tracking, etc) is set up as a separate
movie and loaded via the loadMovie() method depending on which
navigation item is selected. there is also a large amount of auditing
that goes on behind the scenes to track status changes, shipment plans
etc.

Ive been looking into the Cairngorm framework but before I head down
that path i would like to get some input from the community.

the examples (the remote objects) are written in java, and while im
not a java guru i can at least understand the syntax, just not the
implementation as well i would like.

so, that said what would be the best way to dig into Cairngorm? I
would really like to start this app with extensibility in mind, as
this project is guaranteed to grow continuously with new needs.

while im still new to Flex, I find it to be much more intuitive and
FLEXible (pardon the pun =-P ) and am really looking forward to
getting into it even deeper with this project.

thanks everyone for any and all help.

looking forward to the future with flex.

--
-chris.alvarado
[application developer]

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hslskni/M=362329.6886308.7839368.1510227/D=groups/S=1705007207:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123272744/A=2894321/R=0/SIG=11dvsfulr/*http://youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=1992
">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!</a>.</font>