No, the try/catch block is a good thing. I'm not sure what updateListArray() does but there is always a potential for an error. What if bPollingDatabase is not yet created, then an error will be thrown. The empty catch simply means that IF an error happens, nothing special is done to correct it.

SJF wrote:
I have a head-cold (hence the possibly obvious answer to this question) and a block of code as such: function checkResponder(e:Event = null):void
{
 try
 {
  bPollingDatabase = true;
  updateListArray();
 }
 catch (err:Error)
 {
  //
Now considering there is no code in the 'catch' block, there can be absolutely no benefit whatsoever to using try-catch-finally in the above instance. Is this correct?