On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Guy Morton <g...@alchemy.com.au> wrote:

> JSON isn't binary but is more compact than XML. OTOH, parsing it may not be
> as quick as XML.

I haven't tested it yet in the Flash player but the post I linked to
earlier claimed String.split (native to the player) is considerably
faster than the native XML parser - at least in some cases. That's not
hard to imagine, really. Either JSON or XML are text - both of which
should benefit - even quite dramatically - from compression.

> I wouldn't be manually zipping and unzipping data - a better idea would be
> to enable GZIP on the web server and let the browser do the work (not that
> that is trouble-free but still...).

That sounds great and I'd like to pursue this as a few other people
have made the same observation. In my tests, the gzipping wasn't
happing in the browser prior to the data being loaded into the Flash
player. I set the MIME type on the server to "application/gzip" or
similar (I looked up the correct-sounding type at the time.)

Can anyone point me to a working example of gzipping working
'passively' but effectively? Namely, that the Flash player gets
uncompressed data even though the server sends the data compressed.
That would be ideal.

> Here: http://www.jamesward.com/blog/2007/12/12/blazebench-why-you-want-amf-and-blazeds/
> That should help you see what combinations are fast.

Thanks - it's a great article. The author mentions gzipping but I
haven't found the specifics. I suspect he's comparing processes
without any compression.