I need to automatically turn all keyboard input in all TextInput and TextArea
components in my flex application into upper-case.

It needs to function like if the user had actually typed it in upper-case. So,
the events with the lower-case input needs to be stopped and new events with
the upper-case equivalent need to be dispatched.

I am having trouble getting this to work, and would like some input on possible
solutions.

Tried 1: Extending mx.controls.TextInput

And listening for TextEvent, stopping its propagation and preventing its
default and dispatching a new TextEvent with the upper-case equivalent. But the
upper-case char is not shown then, due to use preventing its default.

Tried 2: Listening for KeyboardEvent on stage

To catch all keyboard input and try and change it before it goes any further.
But, some of the same problems occur. Preventing default makes the char not
appear.

Any thought?