>, I'd learn about dispatching custom events. It's not that complicated
but it takes some time to understand.

Raising some events from the question components strikes me as being a
whole  lot easier than dealing with addressing all the different objects
through the heirarchy!
But then when I first started out with flex I didn't know that and tried
to do pretty well the same sort of thing.
You could probably google and read enough on custom events to do what
you need in an hour or two, you'd more than likely spend much more time
trying to work out your current problems than that, I'd guess.
Hth