Hi take for for example the following simple example. Its not a real world
example but it does show the problem that I wish to avoid.

---------------------------
MXML (simpletest.mxml)
---------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"; layout="absolute"
xmlns:local="*">
    <local:SimpleExample text="hello">

    </local:SimpleExample>
</mx:Application>

ActionScript SimpleExample.as
package
{
    import mx.containers.VBox;
    import mx.controls.TextInput;
    import mx.events.FlexEvent;

    public class SimpleExample extends VBox
    {

        private var child:TextInput;

        private var _text:String;

        public function SimpleExample()
        {
            addEventListener(FlexEvent.INITIALIZE, init)
        }

        private function init(event:FlexEvent):void
        {
            child = new TextInput();
            addChild(child);
        }

        public function get text():String {
            return _text;
        }

        public function set text(text:String):void {
            this.child.text = text;

If this is run I get a null error at set text.  How do I avoid this?  Should
I just just listen to the property change event on set text? Imagine now
that I had multiple different children.  Is there a method I can override
such as commitProperties so that all this will be done in the same place.

I'm sorry if this isn't too clear what I asking.

Wesley Acheson.