This is pretty straightforward. We do a lot of this in our dashboard app where we have a function called registerSWF(). This helps us keep tabs on all the swf objects that are loaded on the dash.

private var registeredSWF:ArrayCollection = new ArrayCollection();
           public function registerSWF(swf:Object):void
           {
               registeredSWF.addItem(swf);
           }

Each child swf calls this functions when they load:

application.registerSWF(this); Then, when we need to access a function from within the child swf, we pull it from the AC (so we can reference it) and directly call the function:

               for each (var swf:Object in registeredSWF)
               {
                   swf.someFunction(vars);
               }

Keep in mind that the function in your child swf must be in the public scope or the parent app cannot see it.

HTH,
Adrian

thibodeau.alain wrote:

Hi all,
I am thinking this is simple, but I cannot find the proper way of doing this.

I have a flex application that loads a swf file. I want to be able to call a function that is in the flex application from the swf file.

From my fla I tried calling _root, Application.application, _parent...

Anyone know how I can do this ?

thanks!