After playing around a bit more I am leaning towards the fact that the mx and
fl might be the same, and the 2025 error is caused by something I am doing (or
not).

If the panel has focus I can tab around it, and type, but as soon as I click a
mouse anywhere in the application it dies in SystemManager on a getChildIndex
fired by the mouseDownHandler.

Any help is appreciated.

Paul