The issue is that the flash movie itself needs to receive focus before it can put the cursor in your username field. You can achieve this by adding this to your html wrapper (yourproject/html-template/ index.template.html):

function focusFlash() {
        ${application}.focus();
}
</script>

and modify the body tag like so:

Once that's in there, the usual FocusManager code in your flex will work:

focusManager.setFocus(username);

Toby