In my view, whether or not you use AMF and BlazeDS, it's important to
embrace the service layer and DTO concepts (Data Transfer Object) rather
than trying to distribute your domain objects.

(as an aside, one of my favourite books is Domain-Driven Design, by Eric
Evans)

If you choose not to use AMF, your service layer can  return XML or JSON
which can be consumed by your flex app. There are Java and AS3 libraries for
encoding/decoding JSON.

Nevertheless, AMF is good stuff. I haven't personally used BlazeDS, but
would like to.

- Richard