My application accepts input and adds charts to itself via addChild in
actionscript.  However, no matter how many charts I add, the app never shows a
vertical scrollbar until the user manually resizes the browser window.  How do
I fix this quirk?

I found this snippet on the web, but it doesn't work.  In fact, when the Alert
box pops up, measuredHeight is always less than height so the problem seems to
be that flex is not calculating the height correctly.  I tried
invalidateDisplayList() but that didn't work either.

override public function validateSize(recursive:Boolean = false):void {
                                super.validateSize(recursive);
                                if (!initialized) return;
                                Alert.show("ht: "+height,"measured ht:
"+measuredHeight);
                                if (height < measuredHeight)
verticalScrollPolicy = ScrollPolicy.ON;
                                else verticalScrollPolicy = ScrollPolicy.OFF;