I know this is an old thread but you can't just browse to it - a browser
only displays html, but that html comes from a server at some point - i.e. a
proxy. The same goes for ajax. The reason that they don't post a
crossdomain.xml is because that would make developers put their secret key
inside the flex app which can easily be decompiled and compromised.

Still it would be nice to have a solution, without having to spin up your
own servers.

Baz