Thanks Dean,

> I have no idea about the dot matrix printers. But generally I do
> all my reporting using PHP. At the end of the day flex is in a
> browser and you are going to be limited by that. I'm sure PHP
> can produce a format that would work well for a dot matrix printer.
> If not, you could always have a TCP server written in any language
> to allow Flex to send data to it for reporting. This would be done
> using socket code in Flex. This also requires the server to accept
> a request for a security policy on a specific port. I will look
> for details on that.

Well, I was bit worried about Flex's capacity to produce reports
I dont mind about PHP producing reports in text format if it can
write text file on server which can be fetched to client via FTP
or if PHP can produce PDFs that can serve purpose of Windows graphis
mode printing. The data exports to xls, dbf, ods etc. etc. still
remain. I dont know what to do about.

For sec of discussion how about using Birt on server to produce
reports? have u given any thought to this ? But again we have to
have Java at server. Can PHP send data to any program on server
to produce reports then we can use delphi exe to run in wine
and listen to TCP port on Linux Server and if its windows server
then it can run natively. I dont know what reporting strategies
are followed by ppl developing web applications. I dont have
any experience in web development but there must be some way
to produce reports, Since all over the world big web database
applications are already running.

BTW how u are doing reports I will follow your suit till we
find some generous way for elegant reporting in flex.

Thanks once again and best regards

Raja