A date object has a .time property, "The number of milliseconds since
midnight January 1, 1970, universal time, for a Date object."
Just take the end date and see if the time property is greater than the
start date.

quick example:
var startDate:Date = new Date();
var endDate:Date = new Date();

if(startDate.time > endDate.time) {
trace("start is after end");
} else if (startDate.time < endDate.time) {
trace("start is before end");
} else {
trace("the dates are the same");
}