Jeff,

Calling GC programmatically does not mean that it will be executed.

Like java, the GC in flex is not under programmer's control. You may call
it, but it won't be executed if it is not necessary.

"Clicking the Run Garbage Collector button does not guarantee that all
objects that are eligible for garbage collection will be garbage collected.
Garbage collection is typically triggered by the allocation of memory for
new resources."

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/help.html?content=profiler_6.html

Regards,

Pedro Sena