SOLVED:

The solution is instead of nulling out the borderSkin style, set it to a
Borderless skin, i.e.

package com.skins
{
        import mx.core.UIComponent;

        public class BorderlessSkin extends UIComponent
        {
                public function BorderlessSkin()
                {
                        super();
                }

                override protected function
updateDisplayList(unscaledWidth:Number, unscaledHeight:Number):void{
                        super.updateDisplayList(unscaledWidth,unscaledHeight);

Hope that helps someone.