I don't use .NET or NorthWind.

I would try http://localhost:12345 or http://localhost:12345/service.asmx as
the server name.

Put the database name you want to use in the Database Name field and leave the
other fields as is (Flex automatically populates the user name field with sa).

Then try clicking the "Test Connection" button. Flex will try to connect and
give you some sort of error if it can't.

As I understand it, you should be able to connect to a NorthWind database.

HTH

Steve