Tim, thanks a lot for making the effort to help.

Got partial success. Using heightX properties, I was able to get the forward
transition to work, but  I wasn't able to get the reverse transition (not shown
in code below) to work using heightX props, putting it in a sequence w/
add/remove child, manually setting values, or anything else I tried.

So it expands nice and slow, then snaps shut on close. Any other ideas? If I
have time, I may try doing w/ effects at the AS level to see if I can get a
better handle on it.