Steve,

Thanks, your code illuminated some valuable concepts (tangent question, what
does super() do?  I think it introduces all the properties of the class
being extended but if you could confirm it would be great)

but what I am attempting to determine is how to bind/send events from
component A to component B without involving "relay code" on say the
Main.mxml application.

In other words, if Main.mxml contains componentA and componentB can say
componentA declare a Metatag event that can be received by componentB
directly?  And/or can "html type name chains be used such that a
<mx:Binding> could have say source="componentA.input1.text"
destination="main.componentB.label.text" />    ????  TIA