Heres my three mxml files two of which are under the com/ folder and get
imported...hope that helps

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"; layout="vertical"
        creationComplete="init()" styleName="plain"
xmlns:nutrition="com.nutrition.*"
        paddingLeft="10" paddingTop="10" paddingRight="10" paddingBottom="10">

        <mx:Script>
                <![CDATA[
                        import mx.collections.ArrayCollection;
                        import mx.collections.ICollectionView;
                        import mx.collections.XMLListCollection;
                        import com.nutrition.MealItem;
                        import mx.controls.Alert;
                        import mx.rpc.events.FaultEvent;
                        import mx.rpc.events.ResultEvent;
                        import mx.rpc.http.HTTPService;
                        //      initialize
                        private function init():void
                        {
                                //load calories

httpservice_load("/main.php/flexnutrition/loadcalories",
this["loadcaloriesResultHandler"]);

                                hsNutrition.send();
                                addEventListener('addToMeal', addToMealHandler);
                                addEventListener('removeMeal',
removeMealHandler);
                                addEventListener('learnAboutThis',
learnaboutthisswf);

                        }

                        private function httpservice_load(url_src:String,
resulthandler:Function):void{

                                httpService.url = url_src;

                                //var tmp:String = resulthandler.toString();
                                //if(tmp != "none")

httpService.addEventListener(ResultEvent.RESULT, resulthandler);
                httpService.send();
                        }

                        private function learnaboutthisswf(event:Event):void{
                                vfc_guy.load("/uploads/swf/" + loadswf_var);

                        }

                        [Bindable]
                        private var nutritionData:XML;
                        [Bindable]
                        private var maindata:XML;
                        [Bindable]
                        public var loadswf_var:String;
                        [Bindable]
                        public var createmeals_loadswf_var:String;

                        //load all calories for main meals
                        private function
loadcaloriesResultHandler(event:ResultEvent):void
                        {
                                maindata = event.result as XML;
                                vfc_guy.load("/uploads/swf/" + maindata.swf);
                        }

                        //      nutrition result handler
                        private function
nutritionResultHandler(event:ResultEvent):void
                        {
                                nutritionData = event.result as XML;
                        }
                        //      nutrition fault handler
                        private function
nutritionFaultHandler(event:FaultEvent):void
                        {
                                Alert.show(event.toString());
                        }

                        //      create breakfast
                        private function createBreakfast():void
                        {
                                vsMain.selectedIndex = 1;
                                plantype = 'Breakfast';
                        }
                        //      create lunch
                        private function createLunch():void
                        {
                                vsMain.selectedIndex = 1;
                                plantype = 'Lunch';
                        }
                        //      create dinner
                        private function createDinner():void
                        {
                                vsMain.selectedIndex = 1;
                                plantype = 'Dinner';
                        }

                        [Bindable]
                        private var plantype:String;

                        [Bindable]
                        private var customMeals:ArrayCollection = new
ArrayCollection;

                        //      addToMeal event Handler
                        private function addToMealHandler(event:Event):void
                        {
                                trace(event.target);
                                //customMeals.addItem((event.target as
mealitem).mealDetails);
                                Alert.show(event.toString());

                        }

                        //      removeMeal event Handler
                        private function removeMealHandler(event:Event):void
                        {
                                customMeals.removeItemAt(ls.selectedIndex);
                        }

                ]]>
        </mx:Script>

        <mx:HTTPService id="hsNutrition"
url="/main.php/flexnutrition/nutritioncal"
                result="nutritionResultHandler(event)"
                fault="nutritionFaultHandler(event)" resultFormat="e4x"/>

        <mx:HTTPService id="httpService" url="" resultFormat="e4x"/>

        <mx:Label id="totalcalories" text="{'Today\'s Meal Plan is based on a '
+ maindata.totalcalories + ' Calorie Diet'}" fontWeight="bold" fontSize="18"/>

        <!--mx:Button label="Print Meal Menu" /-->

        <mx:ViewStack id="vsMain" width="100%" height="100%">

                <mx:Canvas id="nutrition_canvas" width="100%" height="100%">

                <mx:SWFLoader id="vfc_guy" source="" height="400" width="400"
autoLoad="true" x="700" y="100" />

                <mx:HBox width="100%" height="100%">

                        <mx:VBox width="40%" height="100%">

                                <nutrition:MealPanel id="pnlBreakfast"
meal="{nutritionData.breakfast}"
                                        title="Breakfast : Please select one
meal from below({maindata.breakfast} Cal Goal)"/>

                                <mx:HBox horizontalCenter="right">
                                        <mx:Button label="Create your own
Breakfast" click="createBreakfast()"/>
                                </mx:HBox>

                                <nutrition:MealPanel id="pnlSnack1"
meal="{nutritionData.snack1}"
                                        title="Snack : Please select one snack
from below({maindata.snack1} Cal Goal)"/>
                            <!--mx:Button label="Create your own Lunch"
click="createLunch()"/-->

                                <nutrition:MealPanel id="pnlLunch"
meal="{nutritionData.lunch}"
                                        title="Lunch : Please select one meal
from below({maindata.lunch} Cal Goal)"/>

                                <nutrition:MealPanel id="pnlSnack2"
meal="{nutritionData.snack2}"
                                        title="Snack : Please select one snack
from below({maindata.snack2} Cal Goal)"/>
                                <!--mx:Button label="Create your own Dinner"
click="createDinner()"/-->

                                <nutrition:MealPanel id="pnlDinner"
meal="{nutritionData.dinner}"
                                        title="Dinner : Please select one meal
from below({maindata.dinner} Cal Goal)"/>

                                <nutrition:MealPanel id="pnlSnack3"
meal="{nutritionData.snack3}"
                                        title="Snack : Please select one snack
from below({maindata.snack3} Cal Goal)"/>
                        </mx:VBox>

                </mx:HBox>
                </mx:Canvas>

                <mx:HBox width="100%" height="100%">

                        <mx:VBox width="30%" height="100%">
                                <mx:HBox>
                                        <mx:Label text="{'My Custom ' +
plantype}"/>

                                </mx:HBox>

                                <mx:List id="ls" dataProvider="{customMeals}"
width="100%">
                                        <mx:itemRenderer>
                                                <mx:Component>
                                                        <mx:VBox>
                                                                <mx:Image
width="100" height="100"/>
                                                                <mx:Button
label="Remove" click="dispatchEvent(new Event('removeMeal', true))"/>
                                                                <mx:Label
text="{data.serving}"/>
                                                        </mx:VBox>
                                                </mx:Component>
                                        </mx:itemRenderer>
                                </mx:List>
                        </mx:VBox>

                        <mx:VBox width="100%" height="100%">

                                <!--mx:Label text="Please select ONE ITEM from
list below"/-->
                                <mx:ViewStack width="40%" height="410"
borderStyle="inset" borderThickness="2" id="vsCreateMeals">

                            <mx:VBox >
                                     <nutrition:Panelcreatemeal
id="pnlCreateBreakfast" meal="{nutritionData.breakfast}"/>
                                        </mx:VBox>

                                        <mx:VBox >
                                     <nutrition:Panelcreatemeal
id="pnlCreateLunch" meal="{nutritionData.lunch}"/>
                                        </mx:VBox>

                                        <mx:VBox >
                                     <nutrition:Panelcreatemeal
id="pnlCreateDinner" meal="{nutritionData.dinner}"/>
                                        </mx:VBox>

                                </mx:ViewStack>
                                <mx:HBox>
                                        <mx:Button label="Save"
click="vsMain.selectedIndex = 0;"/>
                                    <mx:Button label="Cancel"
click="vsMain.selectedIndex = 0;"/>
                                </mx:HBox>

                        </mx:VBox>

                </mx:HBox>

        </mx:ViewStack>

</mx:Application>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Panel xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"; width="100%" height="390"
        borderThicknessLeft="0" borderThicknessRight="0"
borderThicknessBottom="0"
        dropShadowEnabled="false"
         horizontalAlign="center"
xmlns:containers="com.dougmccune.containers.*" title="Select An Item from
below">

        <mx:Script>
                <![CDATA[
                        //import com.createmealPanel;

                        [Bindable]
                        private var _meal:XMLList;

                        public function set meal(value:XMLList):void
                        {
                                if(value)
                                {
                                        _meal = value;
                                        createContainers();

                        private function createContainers():void
                        {
                                for each(var item:Object in _meal.itemdata)
                                {
                                        if(item.available == "yes")
                                        {
                                                var
mealitem:Panelcreatemealitem = new Panelcreatemealitem;
                                                coverflow.addChild(mealitem);
                                                mealitem.mealDetails = item;
                ]]>
        </mx:Script>

        <containers:CoverFlowContainer id="coverflow" width="100%"
height="100%"
                horizontalGap="1" borderStyle="inset"
backgroundColor="0xFFFFFF"
                segments="9" reflectionEnabled="true"/>

                     <mx:HBox>
                        <mx:Button label="item 1"
click="parentApplication.vsCreateMeals.selectedIndex=0;"/>
                                <mx:Button label="side item 1"
click="parentApplication.vsCreateMeals.selectedIndex=1;"/>
                            <mx:Button label="side item 2"
click="parentApplication.vsCreateMeals.selectedIndex=2;"/>
                         </mx:HBox>
</mx:Panel>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Panel xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"; width="310" height="320"
         title="{mealDetails.title}" horizontalAlign="center">

        <mx:Metadata>
                [Event(name="addToMeal")]
                [Event(name="learnAboutThis")]
        </mx:Metadata>

        <mx:Script>
                <![CDATA[
                        import mx.controls.Alert;

                        [Bindable]
                        public var mealDetails:Object;

                        private function calldispatch():void {
                                parentApplication.createmeals_loadswf_var =
mealDetails.swf;
                                dispatchEvent(new Event('learnAboutThis',
true));

                        }

                ]]>
        </mx:Script>

        <mx:Image source="{'/uploads/nutrition/' + mealDetails.imgsource }"
width="285" height="159"/>

        <mx:Label text="{mealDetails.serving}"/>

        <mx:Button label="Add to Meal" click="dispatchEvent(new
Event('addToMeal', true))"/>

        <mx:Button label="Learn About This" click="calldispatch()"/>

</mx:Panel>