I don't use secure communications (My applications are deployed in an intranet)
but I just had a look at my communications in Charles.

On startup I create two remote objects that call a total of three remote
methods. Each remote object sends a "Command Message" of 2.3KB which takes
160ms. The first RO makes two calls which takes 288ms and uses a total of
8.1KB. The second RO makes a single call which takes 369ms and uses a total of
2.5KB.

By my reckoning that is 977ms for 15.2KB of data. One thing I don't know is if
each RO call is made concurrently. If so (And I believe it is) then the max
time taken for all calls is 529ms.

Perhaps it is something else going on in your application? Can you create a
test case that shows the delay?

Best Regards

Steve