"channel disconnect" error generally means there is something wrong with your
PHP code.

Charles is a commercial product. It does have a time limited demo (ie. it will
work for some small period of time and then quit). I still recommend Charles.
If you are doing any serious work with AMF then it is invaluable and will pay
for itself very quickly.