yes the datagrid is bound to an array collection.
I don't want to select any item, I want to change the value of a column's
DataField to a one of two values based on the value of another column's output.

I don't want to have to 'selecteditem' but I can try that code below are you
suggesting that I use it in the labelfunction of the datagrid column that I am
trying to change?