But it's the flash.netFileReference class that's in play:

        private var fileReference:FileReference = new FileReference();

        private function onAddFile(event:Event):void {
            var filter:FileFilter = new FileFilter("Text", "*.xml");
            fileReference.browse([filter]);
            fileReference.addEventListener(Event.SELECT, onFileSelect);
            fileReference.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE, onFileComplete);
        }

        private function onFileSelect(event:Event):void
          {
              if ("load" in this.fileReference) {
                  fileReference["load"]();

          private function onFileComplete(event:Event):void
          {
              var property:String = "data";
              myText.text =
fileReference["data"].readUTFBytes(fileReference["data"].length);
          }